Sunday, March 22, 2015

This week....the fight begins!

Last week Thursday I was able to meet with my medical oncologist, Dr. Dublis.  She seems quite young but so incredibly bright!  Before our meeting she met with the U of M tumor board and Chemo is what was agreed upon.  She explained the reason my surgery was cancelled on Friday is because they want to shrink the tumor in my colon so it will give the surgeon more margin around the tumor to cut.  Chemo will also take care of all of the microscopic cancer cells that surgery cannot. 

I was so impressed by the Metro Health/U of M Cancer Center.  I have always been a Michigan fan so pulling up and seeing the big block M was quite reassuring.  Hail to the Victors!  Seems like a pretty well oiled machine.  After about an hour with Dr Dublis, who was able to show me my PET scan with all of my 'hot' spots (made it real), we were transitioned to Rita, the patient navigator.  Rita works with Dr. Dublis, my insurance company, children's services for my girls and the surgeons office.  Rumor has it she is quite a bulldog and doesn't let anyone slip through the cracks.  This is what we need!  My only concern is that I was easily the youngest in the waiting room by at least 20 years.  That was a little upsetting.

I am scheduled at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday to get my Port inserted underneath my clavicle.  Right from surgery I need to go to the Cancer Center to begin 5 hours of chemo.  I will then be sent home with a pump with a slow chemo drip for 48 hours after.  I will return to the Cancer Center to have the drip removed only to return again in 2 weeks to start the process all over again.  I will be doing 6 rounds of treatment over 3 months then the Colon resection will likely be in late June or early July.  Chemo again and then the liver resection and likely chemo again.  I am just hoping I am one of the lucky one's who responds well and has minimal side effects from the chemo treatment.  (2 full pages of side effects from all of the chemo drugs they are gong to be putting into me.)  Please pray for Kyle, the girls and my parents as I embark on this journey!

Because I am no longer fighting my tiredness, I am using this time before treatment to get a lot of naps!  Thanks to my friend Michelle, I have discovered Unisom.  Finally getting some uninterrupted sleep.  My mom is cleaning my house from top to bottom (it really was not that dirty but apparently doesn't live up to her standards) and my dad has become Jack's best friend, taking him on walks everyday.  I am sending my parents home today to get a break.  I can't imagine watching either of my girls go through this so I can completely understand their need to be by my side.  Kyle is keeping on top of the girl's schedule and their homework.  A special thank you to Century for giving him such flexibility.  It is truly a team effort at the Gildea house!

Yesterday I was able to go to the Irish Jig 5k whose proceeds benefit the Colo Rectal Cancer Foundation.  My Army was in full force!  Thank you to my Chick-lits and their families, my cousins and neighbors who showed up to run, some for the very first time. Seeing your name on a shirt is quite surreal.  Once the race started my immediate  family looked around and we noticed only the Nauta's were left so we went to the bar to drink Bloody Mary's to wait for everyone to finish.  Ha!  Maybe next year we will run!

 
 
 
This was the perfect way to end such a long week.  I feel ready for what lies ahead and truly can feel the power or your prayers. While I do have moments of sadness, I really try not to let myself dwell for more than 10 minutes at a time.  I really feel quite positive.  Overall I am a blessed girl! 
 
God IS good!
 
Angie
 


4 comments:

  1. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18
    In His strength we will be made strong!
    Love and prayers from the Lowder family! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to know that God is with you in every step of this fight, and that He has surrounded you with family and friends to love and support you. The Schneider family will be praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so great see all of you yesterday!! What an amazing team you have, I will praying for you and your family during this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an inspiration. Prayers for little to no side effects from the chemo and that it will do what it is supposed to do to get you back on the road to good health. Keep on keeping on! May God's love and care surround you and your family. ❤️

    ReplyDelete