Monday, March 16, 2015

Plan B

Wow...what a whirlwind of emotion this last week!  I feel so good, which I know sounds crazy!  As much as I hated the colonoscopy prep, it actually has helped with my stomach issues. 

I remember in my younger years hearing the words Stage 4 cancer.  Immediatly you knew it was a death sentence.  When my surgical oncologist (Dr. Mcahill) said it for the first time, my heart skipped a beat!  But he was so laid back about it.  I would later ask him about his reference and he said, "dear, you are so lucky to have stage 4 cancer in 2015 and not 1995."  I am good with that explantion...enough said!  He said to prepare for at least 9 months of treatment so it truly is going to be a long haul. 

We met with the Dr. Hamby this morning and good news.  The cancer hasn't spread past my liver.  There are 3 spots on my liver that lit up in the PET scan and my surgeon said that is going to be first priority.  As of today (seems like plans change with every passing hour), surgery is still 'on' for Friday of this week to do my liver resection.  I am upbeat this afternoon because I finally feel like we are moving toward treatment rather than sitting and waiting. 

They do need to do one more test on Wednesday to make sure the tumor in my colon is not in my rectum (it is in a very grey area) which is totally different treatment plan.  This may be a wierd prayer request but please pray it is in my colon.  I really don't want a colostomy! 

Thursday I meet with Dr Dublis who will be handing the medical oncology side of my case.  What is so amazing is that all 3 doctors talk about me daily to make sure everyone is on the same page.  Many have asked if I am going to U of M for treatment but the bonus is that Metro's Cancer Center is part of U of M and every case is reviewed on Thursdays by both the oncology team at Metro and the oncology team at U of M.  This is called the Tumor Board.  I am the subject of the Tumor Board on Thursday. (not sure if I should be honored or not!)

So I asked this morning how long I have had this tumor growing inside of me.  Colon cancer is very slow growing and would have started as a polyp 10 years ago.  There would have been no way of detecting it unless I had a colonoscopy.  The bummer with this type of cancer is by the time you are symptomatic the disease has already progressed to cancer.  PLEASE....if you are over 50 and have not had a colonoscopy, schedule it!  Don't put it off any longer!

I have been so overwhelmed with support and I know many of you have commented you feel so helpless.  I actually feel great so I am trying to be as active and get as much done around the house as I can (if my mother lets me...she is so bossy!)  I have appreciated the meals becasue my parents are here as well.  Just takes the stress off everyone.  Kyle being home has been a huge relief.   We have both said that maybe God just slapped both of us across the face!  We have a new purpose in life!

Small world...one of our neighbors is best friends with Amy and Matt Chatfield (you can follow Chatty's Cheerleaders on Facebook) Matt was diagnosed in October with virtually the same thing.  Tumor in colon that spread to his liver.  He just had his liver resection a few weeks back and is doing great.  Heather gave me such hope this week!  It will be nice to get to know them better. 

I know all of my BCBSM colleagues will say I am crazy but I would do anything to put on my security badge and be heading to work!  I miss it!  I miss my customers and coworkers.  I miss lunches out, talking about 'nothing'...  you all might have to come and have lunch with me!

That's all for now...continue to keep my entire family in your prayers. 

God IS good!

Angie





 

8 comments:

  1. Praise God it has not spread! Soooo thankful for good news!!! And of course - you know me - I will most definitely be praying for your colon!!! (winkwink) Love you bunches!
    - melindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your blog sounds exactly like you are talking directly to me! Nice job. I'm sure God will be giggling over the flood of prayers this week FOR the cancer to be in your colon. Luckily both of you have a great sense of humor! Stay strong, girl. XOXO ~ Mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm up for lunch and I will bring dinner for you and the fam too - let me know when doll and I'm there 😀❤️😀️proud of you and your strength - no surprise. Hugs to you all and many many prayers!!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're strong and can do this! Stay strong and focused to take care of YOU. Prayers coming your way for a colon outcome and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and your family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Angie- Just found out about your news. Just know that with family, friends and a positive outlook you will beat this! Darryl and I are with you in mind and prayers. We love you.

      Delete
  6. Hey, Angie. Your sweet positive attitude (and spunk) remind me of a third grader I once had... oh yeah, that was you! You amaze me now just as you did back in grade school. Listen to your bossy mom (somethings never change) and take good care of yourself. Know that you and your family are thought of and prayed for often. Stay strong.

    Love,
    Sue AKA Mrs. Beute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Angie, I only know you on a work level but you are such an amazing person. Your positive and spunky attitude will get you through this. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Stay positive I know you will. God doesn't give us more than we can handle and I know that sounds crazy and I often question that statement. I do believe and know that he is taking extra special care of you. Sending prayers and many many positive thoughts. They have picked on the wrong person. YOU got this!!!!!!!
    Big hugs Angie!

    ReplyDelete