Tuesday, April 21, 2015

There are tough days


Typically when you get the flu it hits you without warning.  You gut it out for 2-3 days and miraculously you feel better after a lot of sleep and plenty of fluids.  I distinctly remember the doctor saying at my first treatment that it will feel like I have the flu for the next 9 months to a year.  I completely understood what he said at the time but never really comprehended it until treatment began. 

 My second round of chemo was definitely worse than the first…let’s hope this is not a sign of things to come.  The nausea set it on day 3 and I am really struggling with balancing diarrhea and severe constipation.  I ended up in the emergency room again last Sunday morning just begging for some relief.  Anyone who struggles with constipation, I can totally feel your pain.  I am on every drug ever made to relieve this but for some reason chemo seems to be trumping them all.  Please pray that I can find a better balance this round.   

After nearly 10 days of not feeling well, the last 3 have been filled with bursts of energy to get things done before the next round.  Laundry, errands, catching up on reading the latest school news (I apologize to Mrs. Kiel and Mrs. Corey for not meeting deadlines) all have to be done in 3 days before the dreaded ‘chemo flu’ strikes again tomorrow night.   

Even through all of the pain and discomfort I am trying my hardest to stay as positive as I can.  I still have the mom guilt of not being able to jump up and help with homework, packing lunches or just being present for daily chats but Kyle and the girls are faring well in spite of it all.

We are still relying heavily on family, friends and neighbors for meals which have been an absolute blessing.  If you know someone who is ill please provide a meal!  As busy moms we all know that the daily ‘what in the world am I going to do for dinner’ can be one of the most stressful parts of your day.  I have such a sense of relief that my family is being fed.  While I may not feel like eating, I have heard from my family that all of the meals have been wonderful.  I will learn from this and make sure I provide meals to those in need once I am done with treatment.

While I am finding my diagnosis as both a blessing and a curse all at the same time, I have been able to witness such beautiful kindness.  My army continues to support me and for that I am so grateful. 

Tomorrow begins treatment number 3 and I will be going down for the count for the next week or so.  Please continue to keep me and my family in your prayers. 

God IS Good!
 
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.  ISAIAH 41:10

2 comments:

  1. Hello - my name is Leslie and I am a friend of your brothers. and we have two things in common - 1) we both have brothers named Tony (although mine insisted on being called Anthony when he turned 16) and 2) we have both been diagnosed with colon cancer when under 50 years old (my Doctor informed me I was officially a statistic - yoo hoo.

    Keep going strong - I've been through it too (although I had a pump attached 24/7 for 6 weeks which when I graduated to the baby bottle, my happiness knew no bounds). But essentially, I've been there too - sleeping through the weekend (really and twice), making sure you had a spare set of clothes (just in case), listening to people telling you you need to eat when all you're thinking is "You want me to expend energy I don't have preparing food I don't want to eat?". If it doesn't go in the microwave, it doesn't get made.

    BTW - a friend of mine with cancer and I have a pact that at the end of this, we're heading to Disneyworld. We'll add you to our list if you'd like!!!

    Keep it going, stay strong and cancer sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie - thank you for the note! I am in for Disneyworld!

      Delete